Reducing energy consumption with the help of DEC
Thinking and acting green should not be only something fashionable, but also a way of living. In fact, protecting nature is a high priority for people, due to the fact that being neglecting can have bad consequences on everybody’s life. Just try to think about pollution and you will immediately understand how things really work. But, according to specialists, a good way of protecting nature is also by making important savings when it comes to energy. This rule should not be applied only in the case of the energy that people use for their homes, but also in the case of public service organisations. But let’s see how things really work.
DEC – the best solution for reducing the consumption of energy
DEC or display energy certificate is a very popular method in UK for optimising the consumption of energy. In fact, every building which is used for public services in UK (except Scotland) must have a DEC. And here they are some valuable information about these types of certificates.
- In order to benefit from a DEC the buildings of the public service organisations should have at least 250 square metres. Moreover, the area should be frequently visited by people who need these public services, even if their number is not so large. As an example, you could think about those buildings which are used as council centre, leisure centre, university, college or more. Also, the experts from this domain claim that these types of institutions have a lot to pay when it comes to energy bills because they are not able to optimize their consumption. But a DEC is accompanied by a report (known as Advisory Report) which has the role to let people know how the energy performance should be improved.
- Both DEC and Advisory Report should be both renewed, depending on the surface of the building. For example, a building which has an area larger than 1000 m² should have its DEC renewed each year and its Advisory Report once in seven years.
- It is also tue that organisations will receive penalties if they fail to display documents which are considered valid by the law in cause.
- Last but not least, getting a DEC and advisory report is not a complicatef thing to do, because there are companies in UK which deal with this stuff and which can solve the problem immediatly.
Other ways of making savings when it comes to energy bills
There are other ways of cutting the money spent on energy bills and here they are the most common of them:
- Advising the employees of a public organisation to reduce the energy consumption, by turning off the lights when they leave the building
- Building institutions headquarters with a lot of windows in order to benefit from sun light, during the day
- Finding alternatives of producing energy in an eco-friendly way, by using the sun power (photovoltaic panels) or the wind. But investing in such modern methods can be somehow an expensive investement